Monday, September 6, 2010

Where Are We? Oh, I Forgot. Think It Is Heaven!!

I have no idea where we are.  It says,  New Milton, Hampshire.  At a hotel called Chewton Glen within walking distance to the sea.  (Now I will not verify what "walking distance" means here!)  How we got here is a mystery also.  Our trusty Jill GPS does a very good job; in fact, I think she should get the OBE or something!  But, on Britian's version of a superhighway part of the way, we ended up here.  Totally different than Dartmoor or Cornwall.  We've escaped! I have a very good feeling about this part of the trip...

Why?  Well, first, I didn't see any hikers about.  When we walked in the hotel, I did see a line of about 10 Wellingtons, which are rain boots here. That could be a bad sign!   And it is raining.  But the people were so nice and effusive, I felt right at home!!  RIght to the room.  Where we had a box of locally made bonbons, a bottle of champagne, not one, but two thank you letters from the manager, and two bottles of water on ice!  Add to that a sofa, two chairs, a king size bed,  a tv, a sound system, a cd player, a dvd player and even a library.  Yes, there is a heated outdoor pool.  AND a heated indoor pool.  A spa.  A hot tub. I could go on, but you might get jealous!

And a really truly bathroom!  With bidet and everything.  And a big deep tub along with a step in shower.  Two sinks.  Lots of counter space. I was in heaven really.  Why?  Because at Gidleigh Park in Dartmoor, when they moved us from the teeny tiny tower room on the third floor to the first (or ground) floor room, we got the bathroom there -- and it was meant for handicapped people.  I kinda felt like I was Alice in WOnderland who had fallen through the rabbit hold.  The sink was teeny tiny and about thigh high.  With no water pressure.  And the shower was huge with no walls and a shower head that was nose height.  Wanna feel handicapped when you're not??  So to finally have a REAL bathroom, an American style bathroom.  Well, what is it they say ..."I'm standing in tall clover!"

Tonight is our first dinner here.  So we will see if this love affair continues.  So far so good...

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy heaven! (And you didn't have to go on for me to get jealous...on the other hand, I get to watch Iris crawl and sit up on her own! So, maybe I've got a pretty good deal, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what did you eat and drink? I am sure you weren't disappointed. The first act was too good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh. I remember the "Hotel Garth" in London. Mostly Japanese tourists, and when you ran the shower, you heard some noise from outside and realized the run off from the shower (down the hall, not "en suite" as in the US) was being put into the gutters meant for rain. Totally UK.

    Glad you have a Hotel with "international" appeal. That became a code word for US-level service and amenities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like things have improved greatly. The pictures are outstanding! They look so professional! And...there's nothing like a good old Big Mac...super sized of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new hotel sounds divine, and much more like I would have expected for your trip! Now the cushy part of the vacation can begin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you all read about the Alice in WOnderland rabbit hole part? I do not think that is funny -- or divine!

    ReplyDelete