Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Observations...

It is raining today.  What is new in UK?  It is always raining, they tell me.  There are two men mowing the croquet court IN THE RAIN.  Crossing back and forth, to make sure it is really short.  Does this make sense?

Just had breakfast and they served toast in British "toast racks."  Both Brent and Betsy remember our trip 25 years ago, when we watched a quiz show whose puzzle question had to do with "rolling toast racks."  Hence, we have fond memories of toast racks.  In fact, I think it would be a real improvement, for those of us who eat toast for breakfast, to cut them so they fit in a toast rack, don't ya know!?  MUCH more civilized!

Rather than the Isle of Wight today, we decided to go to Salisbury to see one of the oldest areas in Great Britian.  Salisbury is built on the plain of what is called Old Sarum.  You can read about it in the wonderful novel by Rutherfurd called "Sarum".  There were ancient walls, then Roman walls, and it is 8 miles from Stonehenge, which has become rather touristy.  In any case, Rutherfurd also wrote "The Forest" which is about the area where we are staying in The New Forest, as they all it.  And he also wrote "The Princes of Ireland" about Irish history. And his newest book is "New York," about the history of NYC.  He is fast becoming my replacement for James Michener!!

Tomorrow we leave this area and drive to Dover, where we drop off our rental car and start part # 2 of our journey, only this time by boat!  Across the channel to D-Day landing near Honfleur.  Change directions!  Now a whole new set of thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. We ran into the same problem with a Garmin GPS in England. It must have given the right direction 95% of the time, or better, but it seemed to have some trouble with the roundabouts. But it did stay charged for the entire trip. I just don't know what we would have done without the GPS with the very narrow and unmarked roads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't I get you toast racks for Mother's Day after that trip? I think I did! Whatever happened to those?

    I think visiting Salisbury would be fun, especially after reading Sarum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dover is such a fun place. Didn't we sail from there on the Norway trip? First time I saw it 40 years ago I must have taken 25 pictures of the white cliffs and sang that song until Jim was ready to kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. That IS where we sailed from on that lovely Scandinavian
    "holiday" -- see what I mean??! Getting more and more British -- get me outta here!

    ReplyDelete