Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Where Joanie Fails...


I know you are all thinking that Joanie the Greek is perfect.  I’ve known Joanie for 35 years and I thought she was also.  But now I know... she has a BIG flaw!!

Back to that tour guide again.  When I told her about my friend now named Joanie the Greek, she said that she guessed I knew then about ouzo.  I told her I knew what ouzo was, but that was all.  Well, apparently, in GREECE,  GOOD GREEKS have ouzo BEFORE the meals and the hostess makes 4 dishes of cold mezes (appetizers) and then 4 dishes of hot mezes and then 4 dishes MORE of cold mezes and 4 dishes MORE of hot appetizers and on and on.  She says it is harder to have family and friends over for ouzo than a dinner, since there are always so many mezes and sometimes it just doesn’t end -- and the hostess is stuck in the kitchen all evening.  NOW I HAVE BEEN TO JOANIE THE GREEK’S HOME MANY TIMES AND NEVER BEEN OFFERED OUZO OR MORE THAN ONE MEZE(APPETIZER).  Since I am Scandinavian, all I have to offer when we have Joanie the Greek over is one appetizer made up of herring or sardines.  So I don’t count...whew!!  See what I mean?? She is not perfect!!


Also, for breakfast Greeks do not eat at home.  They eat these pretzel-y looking things from carts that are roasted with sesame seeds on them. They also eat sweet corn roasted on the street for breakfast. THe pretzels actually looked good, but I never got to try them.  And I know Joanie the Greek does NOT serve pretzels or corn to Annie for breakfast -- so what kind of Greek Grandma is she??

So while I love Joanie the Greek like she was my sister, she does have a thing or two to learn about entertaining...

4 comments:

  1. In Invitation to Cathy and Bos for Mezethes
    (Date and time to be determined)
    7:00...Pour the Ouzo
    *Arnavut Cigeri (Whiskeyed chicken livers)
    *Taramosalata (Carp Roe Dip)
    *Sasganaki (A flaming cheese dip. You must
    shout, "Opa" which is Greek for: the cheese
    is on fire.
    *Gavros sto Fourmo (Anchovies in tomatoes)
    8:00...Pour the Ouzo
    *Kalamarakia Ye Mista (Squid baked in a rice
    and raisin stuffing)
    *Mythia Me Skortho and Ouzo (Mussels in an
    Ouzo sauce)
    *Avga Yemista (Deviled eggs stuffed with raw
    tuna)
    *Kokoretsi (Lamb's intestines)
    9:00...Pour the Ouzo
    Serve the entree: Honeycomb tripe with
    walnuts
    10:00 Pour Cathy into the car....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you expect from a woman who bastardizes my brownie recipe with horrible things like FROSTING?!?!!????!!?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the party! Yummmmmmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy ... YOUR brownie recipe? Which one would that be?

    ReplyDelete