Saturday, September 12, 2009

On the Way...

We are now lounging away in the Delta sky lounge, waiting for the 4:30 plane to Istanbul and, due to my good friend Elaine Barnett, I a getting bolder and bolder! Bos had arranged for wheelchairs in all the airports and, lo and behold, they all showed up on time and with not only the chair but smiles on their faces. And the transfer from LaGuardia to JFK was accomplished with a minimum of walking. It's just that I rail at getting old and using a wheelchair is absolute proof that I'm like all those little ol' ladies I used to not even see as they were wheeled around! And I've been building up to this trip for 9 months, with water aerobics and lots of walking. I was so proud of myself as I whizzed through grocery stores and shopping malls without being out of breath or having aches in the back! I call water aerobics "leap around", as you truly do leap a lot and twist and run and I do feel on top of the world when the hour is over!And we've been leaping for at least 3 times a week for many months now. So, when the hip went out Thursday, it was a crushing defeat for those of us who hate this getting old stuff! But I learned that we're never too old to learn and , thanks to Elaine, I just sat in all those wheelchairs and instead of feeling guilty, I just kept saying to myself, "I'll never see these people again, I'll never see these people again", ad nauseum. And I held my head high and said, "What would Elaine and Jim do?" Got me through today and we are on our way to .... big breath...Istanbul!!! Can it be that this will work out after all??!! THANKS, ELAINE! Maybe I'm starting to grow up...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, my friend for your kind words. Accepting assistance is often harder than anything. See you are getting better and wiser! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim and Elaine are always beating me to the punch!! BUT...my two cents: you're always telling ME to accept assistance when it's needed. I'm proud of you for FINALLY taking your own advice! I love you. Have a fabulous trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accepting help is really hard - I have a hard time accepting help myself.

    ReplyDelete