Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Counting down...


I had really good intentions! I really did. I planned on packing over the holiday weekend. After all, it was raining and everything!! So where did the time go?! I have an idea of what to pack, but then I always have an idea of what to pack in my head and, when I start to REALLY pack, it all flies out of my head!

Let me explain. When we moved into this house in 1994, Bos swears we bought two huge walkin closets in the master surrounded by a house.The idea was that I would never have to move clothes around to change seasons. I could have all seasons' fashions in one closet forever. So silly!!! Needless to say, I am a clotheshorse. My mother lived with us at the time and she also had a walkin closet just down the hall from us. In fact, to make dead certain I would need no extra closet space, I had a closet company come in and make the closets even more efficient! Well, two years later my mother passed on. And I took over the closet. And I took over her chests. And the highboy. So now I have my closet, part of Bos's closet, and all of Mother's room! This should not be a problem, but it becomes a problem when we decide to travel. Needless to say, I have TOO many clothes. And shoes. And I love them all. They are my babies. And here we are, going to a very foreign part of the world. And what if ... I need cold clothes,,,or hot clothes...or inbetween clothes. And that doesn't include the shoes. What if my feet hurt? You can't just have one pair of walking shoes if your feet hurt? And do I need sandals. After all, we're going to Egypt..and Greece! Those are hot places. But it's fall. So maybe it isnt hot. And we need dress shoes. But heels hurt.

So you can see my dilemma on packing. Now Bos does the engineery thing. We have a "staging area" which is Mother's old bedroom. And he puts up a rolling rack. We are supposed to hang potential clothes on the rack and then eliminate.. And the bed is supposed to be for underwear, shoes, pants, shirts, nighties, etc. Then he hauls up two suitcases (which will NOT be enough, in my estimation!) and grimly starts packing. Well, he would if I had chosen the anointed clothes for this trip. But I want to take them ALL, from all three closets and chests, just in case... However, I know I will hate that when we have to lug the bags through customs and stuff in all those airports. I will grumble and grumble and blame Bos, because that is what husbands are for. And tomorrow I will apprise you of where we are going and WHY I will hate having too many bags (no, it's not the extra money we will have to pay to bring them!) It has to do with St. Louis's airport and the airport(s) we will have to travel through. Not funny or fun either. Grim tale to come, sorta like Hans Christian Andersen's stories).,

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the rolling rack when I was there last week, and I thought you had run out of closet space and kept my mouth shut (I know, hard for me to do). That staging area is really funny and VERY dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a funny writer. I can just hear the conversation at your house today. Happy Packing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny. You blog well. I'm the same way (as you well know)....I overpack precisely because of the "what if" factor. and, even when I overpack, I always hate everything I brought with me and feel like my clothes would be better if only I'd brought something different to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did meet a woman on a cruise who always took an inside cabin across the hall from her cabin. She used the inside cabin as her closet and dressing room. Now that solves all the problem- maybe it's not too late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this entry. A clothes horse such as you needs a engineer husband such as Boz. How could you have been so wise at age 16 or 17? Well, you were. Congratulations on that.

    BTW, your name came up at the dinner table last night. We were talking weddings and your name came up with the story of meeting a mutual friend at the Health Club. Then, I remembered the blog so I have started to read today.

    Also, I may have fewer garments, but I have the same problem. Have to be prepared for every event and change of temperature. Sometimes packing is an "A", just carry-on...but not for a three-week trip. Other times, it's an "F"/ The "A's" are from learning by experience while the "F" are the "Oh-what-the-...?" and everything goes in. Every time I do that, I regret it, but

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe this is why we are still friends after 40+ years. We have the same addiction!

    ReplyDelete